Although the parents try their best to keep their child away from driving, there comes a time in your child’s life when he clears the Department of Motor Vehicle’s driving test. Thus, he obtains a driver’s license. Immediately after the teenager gets hold of driving license, the parents buy an auto for their child or allow them to drive the family auto. Thus, the need to purchase auto insurance arises so that the new teenage driver can remain protected from the accidents that may occur suddenly. There are certain things that parents as well as the teenagers can do to save dollars on teen auto insurance. Read on to know about some such things.
- Take up a safe driver course – Your teenager should take up a safe driver course. It is called Points and Insurance Saving Program (PISP) in some states while in the other states it is known as Drivers Safety Course. The teenager may take up a state and insurance company approved safety course since this will help him save dollars on teen auto insurance rates.
- Maintain a good driving record – Once your teen obtains a driver’s license, he should make it a point to maintain a good driving record. For this, your teenager will have to drive his car safely and avoid making any accident while being on the road. The insurance companies penalize the new teen drivers that rack up driving violations. As such, the parents must make their teenager understand the importance of maintaining a violation-free driving record.
- Buy a safe auto – A safe auto goes beyond the ones that have anti-lock brakes and vehicle traction control. It also means one that does not have any risk for auto turn over, theft or destruction. The parents should buy a low priced and safe auto for their teenager since the high price you pay for your auto, the more costly will be your auto insurance policy. As such, it is best that you do not add the risk factor by buying an auto that is at high risk for theft or other loss.
- Talk with your insurance agent – While buying teen auto insurance, you can apply for it online. However, you should make it a point to talk with your insurance agent either in person or over the phone if you want to save money on auto insurance rates. The agents keep track of the discounts that the insurance companies offer once in a while. By speaking with an agent, you’ll get to know more about underwriting process and money saving discounts on auto insurance.
- Shop around thoroughly before buying one – With several insurance companies in the market, it is not very easy to find an authentic insurance company. As such, you will have to shop around carefully in order to purchase teen auto insurance. Do not forget to compare between different insurance policies before you may decide to buy one. Try to obtain at least two or more insurance quotes before selecting an auto insurance policy. Thus, you’ll be able to buy the right teen auto insurance and, in turn, save your hard-earned dollars as much as possible.
It is of utmost importance that your teenage drives his vehicle safely on the road. These are some of the ways how you will be able to save money on your teen auto insurance.